As the summer draws to a close, it’s time to start thinking about the new school year ahead. For young learner teachers, this means not only preparing engaging lessons and creative activities, but also building an inclusive environment where every student feels valued and supported.
Introducing the Inclusive Classroom Back to School Challenge – an opportunity for you to take stock of your current situation and work towards creating a classroom that fosters inclusion. This challenge is designed to help you explore the core aspects of the inclusive classroom and by the end of it, you’ll have a serious action plan to put into practice.
Why is creating an inclusive classroom environment important? Well, research has shown that an inclusive classroom benefits all students. It not only promotes positive social interactions and essential skills like empathy, but also improves academic outcomes for everyone. When students feel included, they are more likely to actively participate, collaborate, and perhaps more importantly, learn.
So, how can you create an inclusive environment?
The Inclusive Classroom Back to School Challenge will provide you with strategies and tips that will help you get off to a great start. Throughout the challenge, you’ll delve into various aspects of inclusive teaching, including:
1. Accessible and comfortable classroom design. Learn how to make small changes and adaptations to create a positive environment for your students.
2. Setting up systems and routines to promote inclusion and create a better experience for both you and your students.
3. Cultivating a positive classroom culture through Social and Emotional learning. Learn how to create a safe and welcoming environment where students feel comfortable expressing themselves.
4. Adapting materials and activities: Consider why you might need to adapt materials to ensure that all students can actively engage and participate.
4. A collaborative space. Foster a sense of community within your classroom and encourage students to share their ideas, opinions, and experiences. Create an inclusive space where everyone’s voice is heard.
The Inclusive Classroom Back to School Challenge is about practical implementation. Throughout the challenge, you’ll have access to actionable tips, and real-life examples that will empower you to create an inclusive environment from day one.
By participating in this challenge, you’ll join a community of like-minded teachers who are passionate about inclusive education. Share your experiences, seek advice, and celebrate your successes together.
So, are you ready to take the leap and make your classroom a truly inclusive space? Join us for the Inclusive Classroom Back to School Challenge over on my YouTube channel: Inspiring Inquiries and be a part of a transformative journey that will positively impact the lives of your students.
We start on September 1st, but if you can’t wait that long I have a pre-task for you to get started with!
You could start an Inclusive Back to School Journal. In fact, you can get your own FREE journal template for the challenge here:
And if you know any teachers who might be interested, please send them over to my channel. Why not get a group of colleagues to join you in the challenge and do it together?